Friday, February 3, 2012

Preception



                                                     Apple IPhone 4s vs Android Galaxy SII 
  


When it came time for me to purchase a new cellular phone, I began to research what was available in the ever-changing wireless market. The first step of my product research was to create a comparative analysis of both the Iphone 4s and the Galaxy S II. After comparing the findings of both products, I ultimately purchased the Iphone 4s. My purchase decision was ultimately made due to my personal selection factors[1], product interpretation[2], perceptual map[3], haptic senses[4], and each products positing strategy[5].
            Since Apples launch of the Iphone 4s, they have sold over 37 million just during the holiday season, totaling 183 million devices sold since their original launch in 2007. Iphones  now account for 72 percent of Apples total revenue.[6] The IPhone 4s offers:  built in applications, an app store, iOS, iCloud, 8 megapixel camera and video camera, decreased charge time, photo editing options, mail attachment support, wifi, GPS, and siri. Undoubtedly, the most vital selling point of the Iphone 4s is Siri. Siri is a new feature offering a wide array of benefits, through the ability of voice command.
How Siri works: 
Another aspect of Apple that appealed to me was their positioning strategy. Apple positions itself in lifestyle, attributes, quality and user categories. The Iphone is positioned for a busy lifestyle, (very common in the U.S) and acts as a personal assistant to the user. Apple also boasts many qualitative attributes, the most important to me are, type of software, innovation, technology, and compatibility. Lastly, Apple positions its products towards users who enjoy technology, and high performance but may not be technologically savvy. With apples user-friendly operation systems, literally any consumer is able to use it.
            In contrast, Samsungs Galaxy S II has sold over 30 million devices since it originally debuted in early 2011, making it Samsungs highest selling mobile device.[7] The Galaxy’s record breaking sales, was my first indicator that maybe this is a better product, so I did a little research. The Galaxy SII offers a wide variety of features including:  4.3” Super amolded Plus display, Dual core Application Processor, 8.49mm slim design, wifi, allshare, kies 2.0, 8 mega pixel camera, and voice solution. [8]  Clearly, The galaxy and the Iphone have very similar product characteristics. A major difference I noticed between the two devices, were their marketing strategies. While The Iphone video tutorial above is very informative, Samsungs Galaxy positioning strategy is less informative; rather it targets its main competitor (Apple). For example, here is Samsungs marketing campaign for their new Galaxy S II: 

            To conclude, my purchase decision was not based just off of individual features. Rather a collaboration of them, as well as, customer loyalty[9], brand perception[10], self-preference, and compatibility. I am a loyal apple user, and am generally swayed in that purchasing direction. Although, I did conduct in depth comparisons of the products, I felt that the Iphone better fit my needs. A major benefit was its compatibility with my other apple products. After making my purchase decision of the Iphone 4s, my overall satisfaction (on a scale of 1 to 7 where 7 where 1 is extremely dissatisfied and 7 is
Extremely satisfied) is a 7. I use it on a daily basis, and its far exceeds the requirements that I originally had purchased it for. On the same scale as stated above, my likelihood of recommending this product to a friend is also a 7.  One of the major reasons I disregarded the Galaxy SII was because of their marketing and positing campaigns. I felt as if their commercials and advertisements were not informative, and with repeated exposure it became hard for me to pay attention. I eventually stopped paying attention to Samsung's marketing techniques, and adaptation[11] occurred.


[1] Perceptual filters that influence the consumers stimuli processing. (Experience, perceptual vigilance, perceptual defense, adaptation)
[2] They way that a consumer derives meaning from a sensory stimuli
[3] A vivid way to paint a picture of where consumers locate products or brands in their minds.
[4]  Or “touch” these are the most basic of our senses. We learn before vision and taste, and they affect product experience and judgment.
[5] Fundamental component of companies marketing efforts as it uses elements of the marketing mix.
[7] http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394782,00.asp
[8] http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/feature.html
[9]  When a customer has created a strong bond with a brand, and will only purchase products from that company.
[10] Using our sensory systems to process a brand.
[11] The degree to which consumer’s continue/discontinue to notice stimuli overtime.

                 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment